Thursday 2 June 2016

Vines and Mountains

Vines and Mountains.

 This is one of the scenes that I saw yesterdays I walked. There is just no way that this painting captures the utter beauty of what my eyes beheld. I think this scene calls for a much more detailed painting than I can do on my iPad. I found myself saying, "Wow I just love that magical sight."

Of course having let that thought cross my mind I was then back to my days as a teacher. I used to have a lesson that I used with those students new to secondary education. It was a real teaser and I enjoyed provoking them to think in different ways, the first steps to thinking philosophically. 

The lesson began by my asking them each to write one or two sentences describing the meaning of LOVE.

I of course let them express themselves in anyway they wished. Let me share some of the collected thoughts from those responses.

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.  So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too.  That's love." Rebecca.

When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.  You know that your name is safe in their mouth." Billy.

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday." Noel.

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well." Tommy.

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones." Lauren.

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." Karen.

So we each see a scene in a different way and we will each react to it in a different way. Is that a form of Love? There is one thing for sure each child expressed something that they felt  and it made them feel good. I hope today you at some point have one of those wow moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment