Sunday 12 June 2016

Can I cut your grass?

A French Roundabout.

Yesterday as I walked past this roundabout there was a great amount of activity as the vines were trimmed and the flower beds tidied up. The finished result is that the roundabout looks just like a little bit of the French countryside. I have to say I have never before been inspired to paint a roundabout.

Thinking about this and the work I had watched reminded me of a story of a young lad and a part time job. 

A young boy went into a shop where there was a public telephone. The shopkeeper watched as the lad dialled a number and the shop be quiet he overheard the conversation that took place. It went like this

Boy: "Mrs Brown, Can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?
Mrs Brown: (at the other end of the phone line): "I already have someone to cut my lawn."
Boy: "Mrs Brown, I will cut your lawn for half the price of the person who cuts your lawn now."
Mrs Brown, " I’m very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn."
Boy: (with more perseverance) "Mrs Brown,  I’ll even sweep your path and weed the beds , so on Sunday you will have the prettiest lawn in all of The country.’
Mrs Brown, "No, thank you."
With a smile on his face, the young lad replaced the receiver. The shopkeeper, who was listening to all this, walked over to the boy.
Shopkeeper, "Son… I like your attitude; I like that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job."
Boy: ‘No thanks.’
Shopkeeper,  "But you were really pleading for one."
Boy: "No Sir, I was just checking my performance at the Job I already have. I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!"
There is nothing wrong with a bit of honest self appraisal. No good complaining if others get ahead of you in life if you do not take time to make sure you are at all times giving of your best.





No comments:

Post a Comment