Wednesday 23 March 2016

Painting Dressing and Drinking???


Warrior Triptych .


Thanks to the person who got in touch and told me that they were throughly enjoying the little stories about children and the things they say. Those I have been sharing avery much based around the church of which I have a few more. I do also have a number from my time as a teacher different in style but nevertheless they still in little moments of thought make me stop and think. 

So let me share one or two more with you.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning and the snow had been falling, as it often did in Shotts,(one of my parishes) when it fell nowhere else. 

One of my Elders had been brining some children to church. This elder played a big part in my taking up art after dabbling over the years. She herself painted, so looked at the landscape through the eyes of the artist. 

On this morning she said to the group of children, "Doesn't it all look so beautiful. It is like an artist had painted this scene just for us." She then went on to say, "Did you know that God painted this just for you?" 

"Yes," said one of the children, "and he did it with his left hand."

The elder was confused so she asked the lad to explain.

"Well said the young lad. Did the minister not tell us in church that Jesus sits on God's right hand."

I remember those Sunday mornings when you saw people heading off to church all carrying their bibles with them. Some of those bibles had little notes kept in them, often used as markers of favourite pages. One or two people pressed flowers or autumn leaves between the pages. I had an old aunt who had some four leaf clovers, superstition and religion hand in hand.

One Sunday a young boy waiting on time to go out of church for Sunday School was leafing through his mothers bible when something fluttered out. He picked it up to look at it. What he saw was an old pressed leaf.

"Mum look at what I have found," he said. 

"What is it said his mother," not really paying much attention.

With a look of joy and wonder he said, "I thinks it is Adam's underwear."

This last little tale I have to tell it not as it happened but the full story as I learned it at a later date.

A member of my church was having an evening meal with her young daughter. The father was not at home so it was just the two of them.

The mother was trying very hard to get the ketchup out of the bottle, the daughter would not eat what they were having without it. 

During this performance the telephone rang. It was me on the phone trying to contact the mother. 

The mother trying so hard with the ketchup told her daughter to answer the telephone.

She answered with the words. "My mum cannot come to the phone to talk to you just now. She's hitting the bottle."


 Well we all might feel like hitting the bottle but when we do this is not really what we have in mind. I hope you have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment