Sunday 13 March 2016

Good Luck, Bad Luck, Who Knows?


An Atmospheric Abstract.

This painting is on a canvas 40 inches long by 20 inches in depth One that I still feel pleased to have painted. It has not sold as yet. Some might say that is bad luck others might say it is good luck I might be able to use the canvas again. 

I thought i would just say that because it fits with this mornings title. 

During the last week there has a been a frenzy of activity in the fields around where I stay. The farmers have had a good week to get on with the ploughing and preparing of the fields for planting. Good luck you might say, for the farmers. 

The roads I have been cycling on skirt along those fields. Not only are they ploughing they are also spearing manure. It has its own pungent smell which you either like or hate. So good luck maybe for others bad luck. 

Not all of this mud and manure lands on the fields, the roads get their share. This means every time I return from a cycle the bike has to be washed and cleaned. Maybe not so good luck. 

This had me thinking as I cycled of the ancient tale of the farmer.

There is a Chinese story of an old farmer who had an old horse for tilling his fields. 

One day the horse escaped into the hills and, when all the farmer's neighbours sympathised with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, 'Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?'

A week later the horse returned with a herd of wild horses from the hills and this time the neighbours congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, 'Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?'

Then, when the farmer's son was attempted to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, 'Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?' 

Some weeks later the army marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer's son with his broken leg they let him off. Now was that good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?

I have managed this week to prepare my little garden plot and have planted some potatoes. Good luck or bad luck we shall see. I have planted them exactly a week earlier than I ever did back in my old home where I had an allotment. 

Today once I publish this blog I am going out to plant some onions and a few fruit bushes. Too early? We shall see. Good luck or bad luck? Who Knows.

Life is not really about luck good or bad life is about making the very best of the opportunities as they come along.

Good luck? Bad  luck? Who knows. Let us take the day and live it to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment