Monday 31 July 2017

Life in Europe.



How I hope that things do not change too much in terms of my annual visits to France. Already we can sense the differences that are on the horizon. For the first time in a lot of years I was asked how many bottles of wine I was bringing home with me at border control. No doubt we will soon be back to the days when we have a green route and a red route and we will only be permitted so many bottles.

I look forward to my times in France, though they do sometimes have there moments.

Like the time I found myself in what I thought was a gents toilet only to discover it was unisex and a member of the female gender held a conversation with me during the process.

Fortunately it was not quite like the one another caravaner had.

He told the tale:

I was barely sitting down when I heard a voice from the other stall saying:  "Hi, how are you?" 
  
I'm not the type to start a conversation in the men's restroom but I don't know what got into me, so I answered, somewhat embarrassed, "Doin' just fine!" 
  
And the other guy says: "So, what are you up to?" 
  
What kind of question is that?  At that point, I'm thinking this is too bizarre so I say: “Uh, I'm like you, just traveling!" 
  
At this point I am just trying to get out as fast as I can when I hear another question. "Can I come over?" 
  
Ok, this question is just too weird for me but I figured I could just be polite and end the conversation.  I tell him, "No...I'm a little busy right now!!!" 
  
Then I hear the guy say nervously... 
  
"Listen, I'll have to call you back.  There's an idiot in the other stall who keeps answering all my questions!!!" 

Holidays bring such moments;

While on holiday in their motorhome, an elderly couple stopped at a roadside restaurant for lunch. After finishing their meal, they left the restaurant and resumed their trip. 
  
When leaving, the elderly woman unknowingly left her glasses on the table. 
  
And, she didn't miss them until after they had been driving about twenty minutes. By then, to add to the aggravation, they had to travel quite a distance before they could find a place to turn around in order to return to the restaurant to retrieve her glasses. 
  
All the way back, the elderly husband became the classic grouchy old man. 
  
He fussed and complained and scolded his wife relentlessly during the entire return drive. The more he chided her, the more agitated he became. 
  
He just wouldn't let up one minute. 
  
To her relief, they finally arrived at the restaurant. And as the woman got out of the car and hurried inside to retrieve her glasses, the old geezer yelled to her...
  
"While you're in there, you might as well get my hat!"

I am laughing because in the last week my good friend has lost his bonnet and we have all looked and looked to see where he left it.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment