Thursday 20 July 2017

It is all down to practice.


I am sure this little portrait is not just right but it does have a rather cheeky face so I thought I would give it a try.

I do not know why, maybe it is because I post with spelling mistakes, but I got an email from the dyslexia society the other day. Normally such emails I would just cast into the bin, but on this occasion I could not resist reading it. 

It took me back to my rather painful childhood. The hours I spent trying to do reading homework. My mother tried so hard but it became a nightmare. The book would go flying across the room as I failed for the twentieth time to read the few sentences I had to master. 

Of course the next day i would sit in class with all my classmates dreading that I would be picked on to stand up and read.

The words just bounced around in front of me and anxiety just made it worse. 

Writing was an even bigger disaster. I for some strange and wonderful reason would manage a few words and then the next few would be written mirror style.  Or maybe just a few letters in a word usually e would end up the wrong way round. 

To say I struggled was an understatement. I was marked down as, slow, lazy, thick and so on. No wonder at the earliest possible age I departed company with formal education.

It is amazing that later I began to write poetry and then hymns. That I went on to university and took an extra class in speed reading.  

There I learned a great secret. Stop trying to read the words let your brain read them for you. Let me give you an example to play with for a few minutes before you start your day. 

Start Here.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia.
Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
(Hrad to blveiee taht yuo cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht yuo wehr rdanieg).
Isn't it amazing. Now the Atheist dyslexic deos not need to beleive in Dogs he can dibelieve in gods.
Now I know that is not a PC joke but after what I have written above I think I can safely get away with it. 
Have a wonderful day and maybe a bit of light reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment