Sunday 24 December 2017

Walking ( The Little Miracle)



Walking is very much an integral part of my life, I do so most days, summer and winter. There is, in my mind no such thing as bad weather, just wearing the wrong clothes for whatever the weather is. 

Somebody asked me, "Do you never get bored doing the same walks? You must know every path and sight." It is possible to walk the same route every day seven in a row and have a different walk every day. A large part of any walk takes place inside the head. It is here that the mind creates the thoughts that inspire the sights we see. 

Being alert to what is around us allows us to see nature in all its glory and splendour. It is a great healing process, a walk at one with the elements. The above painting is a beautiful example. The sun was just rising in the early morning and the mist was slowly lifting but where it touched the plant life it left little sparkles like diamonds. 

I know people who do not find walking a good experience they tell me they have far too much time to fret over the day ahead or worry about yesterday.  Then there are those who say that it is too painful to walk. My sympathy is with this group of people. As one who has pain all day every day in my ankle, I can only say that walking does not make it any worse it, in fact, gives it a healing touch.

I often talk of walking in the Tao. What I mean is walking with an easy thought and pace just going as you can not stretching oneself or trying to be a great athlete. Just go as you can, at a pace you can at a distance you can. There are no medals at stake no winning or losing.

I apologise to those who are finding this doing nothing for you. I have been asked by more than one to try and explain and encourage. I hope for those this gives some help.

This came from one of the little sayings I posted earlier this week. I have given it a little more thought and written the following words.

Walking

When you walk do so at a relaxed pace,
this way you will not stumble.
When you sleep or rest, do not fret or worry.
To walk this way or rest, first, you must find patience.
Next, you need not worry about the past.
It has gone and cannot be relived.
Holding on to past you can never let go the old you,
 So you cannot find the new.
Next, forget about the morrow,
To think about the future prolongs the road before you.
It then seems so long and hard.
Much better to be serene
Relaxed
Neither past or future.
Just paying attention to the now.
Each accomplishment becomes an achievement.
This, in turn, will build you up.
Eagerness for completion,
Desires to do more,
All lead to personal interest,
Striving for gain.
This is the road of inconsistency

When you walk or rest  do so  in the Tao

I make no claims of any miracles , but lace on a pair of appropriate footwear and go for it. If you only mange past your neighbours house and back, that is probably further and more than you managed before. What it will do for your wellbing and mind is almost unbelievable. 

What it does for the sanity of the writer I cannot describe.

I hope you have a marvellous day and that during it nature brushes your shoulder with its gentle touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment