Saturday 23 December 2017

The Cost of a Beer.





Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair.


 
To go with the flow.

I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that the cost of everything is going up. Nothing ever seems to get the slightest bit cheaper. I was talking to a friend who was telling me that although she puts in the same online order to the store for home delivery the one thing that does not remain the same is the cost.

But it is not always the way of things. I wonder how many people remember what we called a penny dainty. What this was was a very large toffee sweet that kept your jaws busy for ages as you chewed and chewed for ages often have sore jaws in the process.

Then there was the threepenny toffee bar with the highland cow wrapping paper. Eight portions of toffee on one bar. With care, it could keep you chewing all morning. A delight. 

Then slowly but surely the bars got smaller and the dainty shrunk. The price stayed the same and the little changes were almost imperceptible. But smaller they got until the prices started to go up and the size remained the same. 

The chocolate wheel biscuit that we were told were wagon wheels. They went the same way. They are still called the same but if I could I would put wheelbarrow wheel on the label. The three bite biscuit that became the two bite and then the one bite, but the price stayed the same.

A well-known figure in the modern age a Mr O'Leary of a well-known air company arrived at a hotel in Manchester. having got himself settled in his room decided to go to the bar to savour his favourite tipple, a pint of Guinness.

The barman poured the pint and said, "That will be one pound sir." Mr O'Leary had a look of surprise on his face, "That is very cheap," as he handed over his money. 

" We do our very best to stay ahead of the competition," said the barman, "and it is free pints every Wednesday from 6pm until 8pm. We serve the cheapest beer in the United Kingdom."

"That is amazing and remarkable value," says Michael.

"I see you do not have a glass, so you will probably need one of ours. That will be £3 please."

O'Leary scowled but paid up. he lifted his pint and headed towards a seat. "Ah you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That will be an extra £2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would only have cost you £1. I think you might be too big for that seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please."

Michael tries to squeeze in but the frame is too small so he complains, "Nobody would fit in he complains not into that little frame." "I'm afraid if you cannot fit you will have to pay £4 for your seat sir."

O'Leary getting angry swore under his breath but paid up. "And since that seat was not pre-booked sir that will be a further £3," said the barman.

O'Leary was so angry he slammed his pint on the bar and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager." " I see you want to use the bar," says the barman that will be £2, please." O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr O'Leary."

"I have had enough! What sort of hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to the manager."

"here is his email address, or if you wish you can contact him between 9.00am and 9.01 am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free until they are answered then there is a talking charge of only £1 per second or part thereof."

"I will never use this bar again."

"OK sir, but do remember, we are the only hotel in the United Kingdom selling pints for £1. Have a good weekend!"

The world is full of offers and deals and cut-price bargains. Sadly they are seldom if ever what they seem to be.

Now Love and Friendship, when offered, is often not all it seems to be either. When it is genuine and given with an honest heart it is all it says and a great deal more. 

I give you my friendship and I give you my hand, It is not at all expensive I give you it for free. I do not even ask you to return it.

Have a marvellous day. 

 

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment