Tuesday 12 December 2017

Lets Party.


Lets Party.

Yes, it is a good feeling to feel that all I have to do now is think about what it is that I have to cook for my contribution to the family Christmas dinner, soup a main course and cranachan. Yesterday I spent the whole afternoon going to shops looking at suitable gifts for friends and family, once again making a vow to have it all done long before now. 

I managed to get the tree and all the decorations down from the loft and are now all in place. All this after a freezing cold eight-mile walk first thing in the day. A feeling of satisfaction, I can enjoy the forthcoming days.

Yesterday I spoke of some of the tensions of Christmas when I was a minister not least of all that before the day started I had to conduct a service at the hospital and one at the prison and an early morning Christmas service at the church.

So some of the more light-hearted moments. I was in court one day on the week prior to Christmas as a magistrate. Before me stood a young man. "What is it that brings you here at this time." I was accused of Christmas shopping early," was the reply. Now that did not seem like a crime to me so asked him how early to get some hint of the offence. "Before the shops opened," he said. Ah, now that did make some sense. 

There was a Santa Grotto in the middle of the shopping centre with the usual kind of Santa. Looking old and requiring glasses I wondered how he managed all that he had to do in one night. 

A young girl went in to see him and sat on his lap to get her picture taken. Santa turned to her and asked, "What is it you want for Christmas?" The young girl with an indignant look replied, "Did you not get my email?"

A neighbour of mine a very kindly person was taking her old neighbour Christmas shopping to purchase gifts for those he wished to give gifts to. This made me think of the time my father in law decided that it was all too much and it was easier just to give the great-grandchildren money. His son had bought all the cards and addressed the envelopes for each of the children. 

He had to sign the card and write a message and enclose the money. He was pleased when the little bundle was ready for delivery. On Christmas day he sensed that the children were a little bit quiet towards him. He wondered why because he had felt he was being very generous, and he had told them all in a short P.S. to buy their own present. 

It was on New Years Day that he discovered the envelope with the little bundles of money that he had forgotten to include. 

It is a busy time and so many things to do and remember. Hope you have a marvellous day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment