Tuesday 19 December 2017

Santas and Snowmen! (The Git of Love)


As some of my friends know I have been striving to lose a bit of weight in the past three weeks or so. It was like this, I had walked past a few shop windows and did not like what I was seeing, looked even worse when I looked at a selfie. One thing for sure I was not going on a diet and I was having no rules about what I could and could not eat. It would be exercise and everything else in moderation. So here I am three weeks later and one stone three pounds lighter and feeling good and not afraid to pass a shop window.

How easy it would be to get self-righteous but that would most certainly be a contradiction of everything I believe in and the way I am trying to live my life.

So let me share with you a few lessons I learned from a snowman. 

 It's okay if you're a little bottom heavy.
 Hold your ground, even when the heat is on.
 Wearing white is always appropriate.
 Winter is the best of the four seasons.
 It takes a few extra rolls to make a good midsection.
Avoid yellow snow. 
Don't get too much sun.
 It's embarrassing when you can't look down and see your feet.
  There's no stopping you once you're on a roll

Now that we have that out of the way. Let me share something else you probably will not believe in but please read to the end. 

I believe in Santa Claus and I write a wee letter to him every year. I admit I had missed a year or two but wrote this year and lo and behold I got the following reply.

Dear Ralph 

I was surprised to get your letter this year. I was under the impression that you had succumbed to that saddest of illnesses, Disbelief. And while I never actually heard you say you didn't believe in me, I haven't had a letter from you for some time.

I missed your letters and so did Mrs Claus who asked for you.    

Your request this year, however, made me pause. I thought, for old time's sake, I should write back, and tell you personally why I can't bring your hearts desire this Christmas.

If I understand your letter, you want to give the world Love. You want me to distribute your love to the people of the world who have, but sadly, rarely use, this all-important of human virtues. It is noble of you to wish to give this away, as the need for it is growing ever greater, every year. And every year, I hope to be able to grant your wish, but it just is not in my power. 

And to say that you have enough love for the world is a grand boast, although at the same time, perfectly reasonable. All of us have the ability to do so if we only choose. It is my belief that of all of the times of the year, Christmas is the one where your gift should be unnecessary.

Sadly, though, I watch the world and see how jaded we have all become.
While I know that all of the children writing letters to me are looking for something, it is something I can usually give.  I am not as foolish as people often think I am. I know why you want to give the world your love you do so because you want this gift to be returned.

 Unfortunately, I don't think you understand the way love works, yet. You see, I can't distribute your love to the world, only you can do that. You are the only one with the power to give what you have been given.

Your gifts are numerous, as are the gifts of all humanity, and if you wish to share what you have, you must do it yourself. 


I can give you this bit of advice though if you want to give love to the world, start with those you love. Tell them how you feel about them, and ask them to help. 

Ask them to contribute their love as well, and give it to some soul in need this Christmas. Who knows,  You may still be able to get your wish.

So, in closing, I wish you all the best, Ralph, and much luck in the years to come. Your path is not an easy one, but I think you've chosen well. 

I am hoping to hear from you next year, and in the coming years, until you decide you don't want Santa Claus to be real.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
Merry Christmas!

Santa. 

Who said snowmen did not come to live and Santa wasn't real.  You can believe what you want and surprise yourself every day. Have a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment