Sunday 3 December 2017

The Artisan.


I watched yesterday as two children tussled over what looked like identical pencils. I overheard the mother say to the one who seemed most upset," They are both exactly the same." "No, they are not," said the young lad. "That one is definitely mine it feels different."

Now, this is something I can appreciate. The question is, "Does a tool have a spirit of its own?"

When I worked as a butcher, all those years ago, at the end of each working day all the knives would be placed on a rack for safety. The next working day each of us selected our own. They might have looked the same but they were, in fact, all different to each person. We would never have lifted or thought of using the knife of another.

Strangely enough, this was the rules of the ancients that tools should be handled only by their owner. It was thought that each tool had its own spirit that worked in harmony with the owner.

For many years this was the way of the craftsperson. Some made elaborate boxes to keep their tools in almost like little shrines.

Then along came industrialisation. All tools became common use and were stored in a central place and nobody owned any tool. For the efficiency of mass production, the spirit of the tool was lost.

For many, the belief that a tool had a spirit was nothing but superstition. AN object is an object. My brushes that I use to create a painting not only have a spirit they each have a name. I am aware if I treat them with respect they will do what my heart desires. 

To know this and to adopt this attitude brings with it self-realisation. I too have an inward spirit and does everybody I meet in the course of the day. 

By respecting the spirit of the tool before me aids and helps my pursuit of perfection. To see in others this inward spirit allows us to gain true friendship. When we speak the name of another we do so with a deep regard for who they are. 

I spoke yesterday with a mother who had adopted a young lad with Autism. She spoke of him with love and admired what he brought to their relationship. She had found the art of seeing the inner spirit of all things. That young lad will flourish under her nurture as she strives for him, the very best.

The Buddha was once asked if friendship of another was half of the way to find enlightenment. The Buddha answered, "Friendship is the whole way to enlightenment."

Rejoice in your friends and have a marvellous day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment