Thursday 14 July 2016

The Bank of Life.



It is amazing what we call a holiday. Having just spent almost two months in France , "on holiday," I was looking back at all the pictures I took and the places I saw. I looked at all the paintings I had done. Checked the milage on my cycle computer. Thought of all the walks I had done. It really did not fit with my idea of holiday. 

The dictionary says that holiday is,"A time when someone does not go to work or school but is free to do what they want, such as travel or relax."

I suppose I did some of those but relax was certainly not one of them.  Strange how we all look at the idea of holidays. If you google the word you will be faced by a barrage of tour companies trying to get you to purchase a package holiday. Tempting you with cheap prices. 

Holiday in fact comes from the two words, "Holy Day."  Those were the few days set aside when you did not work but took time to think of spiritual matters. Well gone are those days I suspect. 

Was it all worth it? Of course it was and I would do it all again tomorrow. Why? because in reality I probably do and achieve more because I realise that this is not going to last for ever I am working on a limited timescale. Then when it is over  as my father used to say, "It is back to old clothes and tattoos and mince." Back to normality. Sadly normality often means not using time to its fullest or best.

I was thinking about this .

Imagine there is a bank which credits your account each morning with £86,400, carries over no balance from day to day, allows you to keep no cash balance, and every evening cancels whatever part of the amount you had failed to use during the day. What would you do? 

Draw out every pound, of course!

Well, everyone has such a bank. Its name is Time. 

Every morning, it credits you with 86,400 seconds. 

Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest to good purpose. It carries over no balance. It allows no overdraft. Each day it opens a new account for you. 

Each night it burns the records of the day. If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is yours.

There is no going back. There is no drawing against the "tomorrow". Therefore, there is never not enough time or too much time. 

Time management is decided by us alone and nobody else. It is never the case of us not having enough time to do things, but the case of whether we want to do it.

Make every day a holiday, and use it to the full. Make it a Holy Day special and to be used wisely.

Have a great day. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment