Thursday 28 February 2019

Go gently.


This is a well-known castle in Scotland not far from where I once was a minister. It is the first ever attempt I made at a pen and ink. 

I had a member of my congregation who served in the army during the war and for a time in this very castle. On his death he wanted his ashes in the castle grounds. The authorities said this was not possible so I slipped up quietly one day with my son, and from yonder, parapet said a short prayer and committed his ashes to the rocks. I really did not think that what I had done was going to do any untold damage to the castle or to the environment.

Some month or so later his wife died. The family wanted her ashes beside his. When I arrived at the castle they were working on the rampart. All I could see was scaffolding. I had to retreat to the bottom and climb up through the trees and up the rocks to fulfil the family wishes. So I am very familiar with this castle and all those years later it is still there in spite of all my endeavours.
I am reminded of the tale of the disciples who questioned the master about how it was that he allowed rich people to become his followers. They saw this as a contradiction. 


It intrigued them that the Master who lived so simply would not condemn these wealthy followers.
"It is rare but not impossible for someone to be rich and holy," he said one day.
"How?"
"When money has the effect on his heart that the shadow of that bamboo has on the courtyard."
The disciples turned to watch the bamboo's shadow sweep the courtyard without stirring a single particle of dust.
Until we have found the ability to move through life without causing a stir or harm it is wise to keep our counsel. Just a thought.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment