Friday 1 February 2019

That Little Spot.


Looking back on yesterday it comes to me that in honesty only two things happened to me. One was a visitor who came to my door rather aggressively complaining that I had not put a note through every door of the village announcing that I had become the new secretary of the community council. 

Now I do not wish to dwell on this here in what is very much a public forum but after spending some time with him he left and all I could think of for the rest of the day was what I had failed to do, in spite of the fact that I had spent many hours trying to do the best I could.

The other thing that made an impression was the letter that unexpectedly dropped through the letterbox. This was telling me that I had been scheduled for surgery for my ankle. This came almost like a shot out of the blue because I had not expected this so soon and I was not thinking of it.  

Almost immediately my mind returned to the last time I had an operation to have my other ankle replaced and the long time I had to spend in hospital with an infection in the wound.

So my day wound down with a head full of negative thinking.

There is a tale of the teacher who arrived early in his class, on each desk he laid a sheet of paper face down. When his students arrived he told them to be seated and to turn over the paper and then write about what they saw. As they turned over the paper every one of them noticed the tiny black dot in the centre of the page and each of them wrote about the black dot.

The teacher then gathered them in and quickly read them all. he then reported back to the class that not one of them had mentioned the large space of white paper, all had concentrated on the black spot.

So it is, so often in life, we are surrounded by so many good things and yet we often spend all our time thinking of the negative things.

Maybe we need to tell ourselves more about the good things. The ankle that caused me much pain and was replaced now allows me to walk almost pain-free on that foot. Since taking on the task of being secretary I have in fact accomplished a fair bit of which my visitor said nothing. 

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment