Friday 15 February 2019

See the obvious.


It never fails to amaze me how my eyes and mind so often play tricks on me and that those tricks frequently end up carrying over into my art. 

I was walking yesterday when my eyes spotted this scene. I leave you to glance at it and see if you are seeing exactly the same as me before I share a little secret with you.

But let me first digress and tell you a little tale of one of my boyhood favourite characters. I used to enjoy watching, The Lone Ranger. My real hero and smart thinker thought was not him rather I found myself captivated with his American Indian sidekick Tonto. He was my real hero.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto were on a journey that required them to camp in the desert. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep. 
Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, "Kemosabe, look towards sky, what you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies, "I see millions of stars." 


"What that tell you?" asked Tonto.


The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says, "Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.  

Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.


Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. 


Theologically, the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant.


Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.


“What's it tell you, Tonto?"


“You dumber than buffalo chip.   Someone stole the tent,"
 Says Tonto.

Going back to my painting, what did you see? The truth is after a hard slog up the mountain at the back of our village and then making the journey home I stopped to take off my boot to give my painful ankle a message. This gives me ease of pain for the last two miles.

I sat on a mossy wall and leant down to undo my boot. The painting is what I saw at my foot at the base of the wall, a wonderful cliff face with trees and possible a waterfall. In reality some stones pebbles and weeds.

It is not always obvious what we see but what we do can be even more amazing. Let the mind flow and enjoy.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment