Sunday 17 February 2019

A little indulgence.




I walked a fair number of miles yesterday more than I have for a very long time so when I approached the Bistro where I had left my motorhome I felt no guilt at all as I sat and indulged in expresso and a large cream-filled meringue.

There are times when it is good to loosen the reins and indulge.

As I found a table to sit and enjoy my indulgence I saw something that took me back many years, something I had not noticed in ages other than formal occasions. I watched an older couple being served a meal and before eating they both held hands and said a little grace.

A young girl at the next table asked her grandad what they were doing? He seemed to be at a loss for words.

I was reminded of a tale I had used while preaching a sermon many years ago. Although times and circumstances have moved on for me there is still a little truth to be found in the tale.
   
A mother took her six-year-old son to the restaurant. As they prepared to have their meal he asked if he could say grace.
 He bowed his head and said,  "God is good. God is great.  Thank you for the food, and I would thank you even more if  I am allowed ice cream for dessert. Amen!"
 

He was heard by those around and there were many smiles and silent laughter. One woman though was rather indignant. "That is what is wrong with this world, children do not have a clue about how we should pray. We have come to a sorry pass when we are letting children pray for ice-cream." 
Hearing this, the young lad burst into tears and asked his mother,  "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"
 His mother assured him that he had done a terrific job and  God was certainly not mad at him.

A gentleman approached the table.  He winked at the lad and said,
 "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."
 "Really?" the boy asked.
 "Cross my heart," the man replied.
 Then in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream.  A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."
 
 
The man winked again and left. At the end of his meal, the waitress served him a large ice-cream paid for by the man.
The lad stared at his for a moment
 and then did something his mother will remember for the rest of her life. He picked up his ice-cream and without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her,
 "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes. 
My soul is good already."

I enjoyed my meringue and left to finish my day feeling good.

have a marvellous day with maybe something that is good for the inner being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment