Tuesday 11 December 2018

We are doing Division today.


On my path yesterday there comes a sharp bend and the path goes under the trees and you are immediately faced with a steep and often slippy hill. I always prepare myself for the sharp climb knowing that I will feel it in the calves of my legs. Yesterday I came out through the trees and there was the hill but there also was the beautiful dappled light running down through the division between the trees. 

I have been very aware of division very much these past few weeks when all we hear about is the ever increasing gaps between the know divided country I live in. The word division scared me at school I was never good at math or arithmetic and dreaded when told, "We are going to do division this morning."  But one thing I did know was that when you divided one thing with another you always ended up with less than you started. It seems to me that right now this is exactly where we are heading. 

But this is not the place for politics and I am taking no side here I merely reflect it will be a very long time before there is a coming together if we are not careful.

I was always very conscious of division when I was a minister, division between different factions of the religion I was part of and I found this very sad. Of course, when I moved into teaching and world religions and philosophy I became even more conscious of the divisions between religions. I have been left wondering why we seem so hell-bent on division?

Being aware of such and much concerned about the rise of denominations in the church and between religions a devote man tells of a dream he had. 

In the dream, he was ushered to the gates of Hell. 

There he asked, "Are there any Presbyterians here?" "Yes!", came the answer. 

Then he asked, "Are there any Baptists? Any Episcopalians? Any Methodists?" The answer was Yes! each time. 

In deep distress, he asked, "Are there any Muslims here, any Hindus?"  "Yes," came the answer.

Much distressed, he was then ushered to the gates of Heaven. 

There he asked the same question, and the answer was No! "No?" To this, he asked, "Who then is inside?" 

The answer came back, "There are only good people of faith here." 

Where there is division there can only ever be losers and never any winners.  Just a thought as we approach a time where we are all supposed to put aside differences and be of one. 

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment