Sunday 23 December 2018

Morning has broken.


I walked yesterday morning while the mist was still hanging low on the ground and the winter sun was trying so hard to break through it and between the trees. It made getting up and out worth taking the time.

Someone once said, "There's nothing quite so early as the morning"  and how right they were. I had felt bad leaving my wife in bed with the cold but aware of the consequences of my not walking. The pain in my ankle becomes so much more bearable when I have walked.  I am often the only person out walking who does not have a dog with them and am often asked why I bother. 

I hope the answer can be seen in this painting this morning. Of course, it was not like this but this was what the scene did to my inner self and the day could now be faced with a new sense of purpose.

I walked on having been asked by the dog walker why I bothered? I remembered some of the things that had been said to me in the past about getting up and out of bed and found myself smiling.

A farmer friend used to say to me, "An alarm clock is a mechanism used to scare the daylights into you. " 

A younger female member of my congregation once said this to me about sleeping, "Anybody who sleeps like a baby doesn't have one."

An old elder one early morning feeling a bit annoyed at being up and out so early said, "I think women were put on earth to make men feel guilty about taking a nap." 

While another person said, "There ought to be a better way of starting the day than having to get up."

I really cannot see it. There are always two sides to everything and it is always far too simple to see only the miserable side of life. A cold crisp morning gave me this painting and I wonder what today will bring.

Another name for a morning grouch is a surly riser. Rise and rejoice a new day has dawned and you have it spreading before you to enjoy.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment