Thursday 6 December 2018

Joy



Now here is a word that we hear frequently at this time of the year. It is something that we do not hear very frequently at any other time which often makes me suspect that it is a word we change for the rest of the year to, " fun." It seems that they are so often used in much the same way. 

Yesterday somebody said to me in a very friendly and meaningful way that I should relax and get some joy into my life that I take things a bit too seriously at times.

I gave this much thought and to some extent, I agreed and to some extent, I did not.

What do we mean when we send joy to another? Because it seems to me that joy is something that can only be experienced when it is a shared experience.

It was C. S. Lewis who said, "We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. 

We are far too easily pleased.

There is some truth in the notion that we have become a people who seem to find pleasure at a shallow level.

A man was anticipating death,  penned these last words to a friend. 

"It's a bad world, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered in the midst of it a quiet and holy people who have learned a great secret. They have found a joy which is a thousand times better than any pleasure of our sinful life. 

They are so often ignored and unheard, but they care not. They are masters of their being. They have overcome the world. 

These people have discovered the simple things of life and are joyful people.  These last few years I have discovered this and glad to say that I am one of them."

It seems that happiness and joy can be found on many levels and we can share it in a deep and meaningful way with others. It is so much better than fun.

I give you my decorative abstract ball with a little gift to you. 

Have a joyful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment