Saturday 15 December 2018

It is just a few minutes.



I was out walking yesterday when my phone rang. Normally while out walking I ignore it and get on with my walk. I used to always carry it with me while running in the mountains in case I had an accident and needed help in some wild place. Then I carried it with me while walking because it linked to my watch and helped my watch to record the miles and places I was walking.

Now it is probably just a habit that makes me take it. But yesterday it rang and I responded. On the other end was a gentleman who had been talking to one of the members of the community council who had given him some time and made his day. He had looked up the community council page and found my telephone number and wanted me to convey his thanks to her. He chatted on for some time and I became aware that I was talking to somebody who had lost his wife and was feeling very lonely.

I spent some time considering this call and with some sense of cheer that I had taken the time to answer it and determined to do something about it. 

How often have I talked with someone on the telephone who seemed to be in a hurry and wanted to get on with more important business? 

How often have I stopped to speak with someone on the street and received that same hurried feeling?  And, perhaps, I  have also been guilty of this, giving out the feeling that I was too rushed to stop and talk.

You have undoubtedly experienced it and didn't enjoy it.

If you have, why not decide to tithe time, save up chunks, bits and pieces of it, and give them away to people who interrupt your pre-established plans?

It is a great principle of love that people don't interrupt, not really, they never intend to interrupt they just intend to be friendly.  

Perhaps there shouldn't even be such a word as interrupt; for when people come into our existence, even for a brief time, that is a wonderful moment of experience for both of us. 

Relish it. Probe it. Invest some of the time you have tithed. 

We can't afford to indulge in the luxury of "being too busy and important" for another person. A few of our precious moments might be a life-changing experience for another person.

Have a marvellous day and for those in Scotland prepare well for the day it seems we are in for a day of strong winds snow and then freezing rain a dangerous combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment