Sunday 16 December 2018

The path of learning.


I thought when I left education and retired from being a magistrate sitting on the bench in judgement my days of training courses and training days would be behind me and here I am inviting members of the community council to consider attending training classes on offer. Though I have been involved in a great many such training days in the past and though I am getting long in the tooth and age is something to be ignored I will probably attend at least one of the courses on offer. Why? Because as my good friend Jim often reminds us every day is a school day and a day of learning.

I walked this path through the forest yesterday trying to find a sheltered path away from the forecast wind and rain. Peaceful, and stretching out before me evergreen trees moss, lichens and the needle strewed path time to consider and contemplate some of the many words of wisdom I had learned in the past.

As I considered the training courses, the books, the lectures I realised that much of my learning had taken place on such paths of life from walking companions and quiet moments of thought.

And I have learned-
That those who most need to learn
are usually the people who are sure they already know it all.

I have learned -
that our background and circumstances
may have influenced who we are,
but we are responsible for who we become.

I have learned -
that sometimes when my friends fight,
I am m forced to choose sides
even when I don't want to.

I have learned -
that just because two people argue,
it doesn't mean they don't love each other
And just because they don't argue,
it doesn't mean they do.

I have learned -
that sometimes you have to put
the individual ahead of their actions.

I have learned -
that we don't have to change friends
we understand that friends change.


I have learned -
that you shouldn't be so eager to
find out a secret.
It could change your life forever.

I have learned -
that two people can look at
the exact same thing
and see something totally different.

What I have not yet learned is when to speak and when to keep my mouth shut but I am trying hard to do just that as I travel the paths of life.

Have a great day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment