Friday 14 December 2018

Be ready for the unexpected.


I had a marvellous day out yesterday in our capital city. I spent time just wandering around the Christmas market when there was room to move it not being as busy as it was the last time I tried to visit on a Saturday. The man above seem to appear all over the place and of course, I heard a mother tell her child that Santa had many helpers that were why she was seeing so many. I was not at all surprised by the response from the child who wanted to see the real one, not the helpers. Sort that one out mothers.

It shows you have to be always prepared for the unexpected. I was faced with this very thought again when I popped into the Apple Store to purchase a cover for my Ipad. On finding what I was looking for I was directed to a young man who had set up in a corner to take card payments. Seeing before him an older person he asked if I was sure I had the correct cover? I am sure he wondered what an old man like me was doing with such technology. Sure enough, he asked me what I used it for. When I showed him he seemed surprised. A line began to form as he looked at my art and proceeded to take down all my details wondering if I could possibly help in giving demonstrations and meeting with other Apple artists?  In the end, I dropped a painting of one of my horses over to him for his daughter.

For just a little moment I was one of Santas helpers. I also left feeling happy inside he said I had made his day and he had certainly made mine. 

It is great to be challenged and to try and rise to it, I did not hear how the mother faced the challenge of the real Santa but I am sure she did. Always expect the unexpected I think that gentleman in the Apple store did indeed get a shock that not all old men are passed it. 

The next time you feel yourself feeling confident, challenge yourself to do the impossible. You just may. There are legions of people with unchallenged genius potential.  

In 1912, two Irish music hall players were spending an afternoon in a pub at Stalybridge in Cheshire, England. They were extolling the musical traditions of Ireland when it's said they boasted they could write and perform a song on the same day. It might have been a gimmick to stimulate attendance or it could have been genius jumping out of its bag, for It's a Long Way to Tipperary was performed that night at the Stalybridge Grand Theater by Jack Judge and Harry Williams. 

It was an overnight success that gained tremendous popularity during World War I as an Allies marching song.

Look to challenge yourselves and others it brings much joy when you do.

Have a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment