Wednesday 5 December 2018

The way it is.


I find as time moves on I am doing more and more each day to let the village know what is happening out and about. Organisations holding events the planned events in the church, the tavern getting its decorations up. Even as a minister I used to try and avoid getting too caught up in all of this until much nearer the time. That said it is good to see just how the village is pulling together to help one another.

I read just the other day an interesting thought in a magazine.

"When Pope Julius I authorised December 25 to be celebrated as the birthday of Jesus in A.D. 353, who would have ever thought that it would become what it is today?"

When Albert introduced the first Christmas tree into the United Kingdom who would have ever thought how that would have developed?
When Professor Charles Follen lit candles on the first Christmas tree in America in 1832, who would have ever thought that the decorations would become as elaborate as they are today.

Nobody can be absolutely sure when it all really began in that far off land and for the early church recording it did not seem to matter for a very long time. But who could have thought it would come to what it has? Well to be very honest they all could have because before the 353 there was another winter festival celebrated pretty much like the one celebrated today.

In many ways, we have come forward only to go back to the old Saturnalia of old. What was meant to be can so easily get lost in what it is?

Two women who were having lunch in an elegant hotel were approached by a mutual friend who asked the occasion for the meal. One lady replied, "We are celebrating the birth of my baby boy." "But where is he?" inquired the friend. "Oh," said the mother, "you didn't think I'd bring him, did you?" 

I make no comment just leave that hanging in the air. 

A television interviewer was walking streets of just the other day and rather than asking about Brexit he was asking about Christmas. He was in the midst of many shoppers already caught up in the fever of Christmas shopping. 

The interviewer stopped one young woman passing, and asked, "What is the meaning of Christmas?"

Laughing, she responded, "I don't know. Is that the day that Jesus died?"

There was some truth in her answer.

I at this stage leave you with those one or two thoughts if I say any more I may be accused of slipping back into my dog collar. 

So whatever you do today enjoy and have a great day. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment