Friday 16 February 2018

To be confident is a good thing.


I am aware that this is a painting I have used before but I have been working on a portrait of my wee birds and I ran out of time to do any other. But I have noticed that they have managed to fly from another painting into this one while I was not watching. They seem to be growing in confidence those little birds. I might have to find names for them because my little collection of children's stories about them is growing. 

I will have to take them aside though and warn them about this growing confidence to appear in every painting. If they get overconfident there might be no stopping them.

It was Arnold Palmer who told the story about getting too sure of yourself. This is his account of the event.

"It was the final hole of the 1961 Masters tournament, and I had a one-stroke lead and had just hit a very satisfying tee shot. I felt I was in pretty good shape. 

As I approached my ball, I saw an old friend standing at the edge of the gallery. He motioned me over, stuck out his hand and said, "Congratulations." I took his hand and shook it, but as soon as I did, I knew I had lost my focus.

On my next two shots, I hit the ball into a sand trap, then put it over the edge of the green. I missed a putt and lost the Masters. 

You do not forget a mistake like that, you just learn from it and become determined that you will never do that again. I haven't in the years since." he said.

A minister was sitting in his study aware that he was to get a delivery of a parcel that day. He had made very sure that the parcel that was to be delivered would have no identifying marks from the sender. He had gone to great lengths to give packing instructions and to make sure the package was clearly marked, "Bibles." He was very confident that his instructions would have been followed.

There was a knock at the door of the manse so he hurried down to collect his parcel. As he opened the door the delivery man stood with a large heavy box in his arms. "Ah, that will be the bibles I am expecting. Thank you so much."

"Bibles?" said the man, "Well I am very sorry to tell you minister but your bibles are leaking."

It was the last day of school before the summer vacation. The pupils were all excited and most of them had a little present for the teacher. 

The first boy, the son of the local florist, handed her a gift. She held it abover her head and with great confidence said, "This is flowers, how nice." " How did you know that said the lad?" "Just a good guess," said the teacher.

The second pupil came forward with a gift. Helen was the daughter of the local confectioner. Again she held the gift above her head. Again with great confidence pronounced it was a box of sweeties. Once more she told them she was good at guessing. 

Tom brought his gift forward. Once more the teacher held it above her head. She noticed it was a bit wet. The father of Tom owned the local bar. The teacher put her finger to the damp spot and licked it. "it is wine she said with confidence." "No," said the excited Tom.

She put her finger back on the damp spot and took a bigger taste. "It is champagne!" 

"No," said Tom. "What is it?"  asked the teacher. "A puppy." said Tom.

There is nothing wrong with being sure of your facts and nothing at all wrong with having the confidence of your convictions but it never pays to be over confident, you might end up eating yellow snow.

Have a marvellous day.



No comments:

Post a Comment