Wednesday 21 February 2018

Just a little gift.


I was captivated more than once yesterday on my walk. I parked the car and headed out along the coastal path from Kirkcaldy to Kinghorn. The sun blessed me and shone on my face the waves rolled into the shore and the seals basked in the sun making happy cheerful noises.

As I neared my furthest out point where I would turn and head for the start point I saw a couple collecting from the beach. I enquired what they were gathering? She was an artist and he the husband said to me," I am doing what I am told I am collecting sea smoothed glass. But it is one gift I know I can get correct and bring her pleasure." She smiled and it was obvious he had hit the nail right on the head. 

It seemed that this particular beach, for some reason, always had many little bits of broken glass polished smooth by the tides and waves. They also came in assorted colours and sizes. She gathered them every now and then and turned them into beautiful mosaics.

Not long after I met a lady weeding in the flower beds doing her little bit for the community. In the flower bed, there were two mosaics she had been given by the lady who I spoke to collecting glass. She had been impressed that this old lady on a regular basis cleared the beds of weeds and had gifted her two of her mosaics, which in turn brought the gift to others who like me saw them and enjoyed.

The old lady invited me into her home where I was shown yet another mosaic. 

I left with a real feeling of pleasure that I had been blessed with a beautiful day the wonder of nature and had met people who shared the gift of time to others. 

As I walked a little further on I saw a robin sitting on the gatepost of the kissing gate I was about to go through. it stayed there as I quietly and gently passed through. 

I thought of the old tale of the robin and its redbreast.

One year the winter was very cold. There was thick snow on the trees.
The poor birds could hardly find anything to eat. All the birds sat together to discuss the problem.
The robin had an idea, “I will go and ask the people who live in those houses to give us some crumbs.” 
Saying so, he went to one of the houses nearby. A man was working in the garden. The robin went and perched very close to him. The other birds were afraid to go near humans, but the robin was brave. When the man saw the friendly robin he brought him a tray full of crumbs. The robin felt very happy and called all the other birds to eat with it. 
In this way all through the winter, the robin arranged food for the other birds.
When the winter season was over, in order to thank the robin, all the birds gifted him a red waistcoat and since then, he came to be known as Robin Redbreast.
Yes, I know not true but a nice tale.  I am sure I could go on for longer about how easily a little thought and gift can carry on from one to another. 
Before heading home I popped into the supermarket and with the two items headed to the checkout. The two women sitting at the two tills were looking somewhat glum. I said, "Cheer up it is such a beautiful day." One of them replied, "But we are stuck in here."
"Yes I said and I am out there enjoying it, but then I am an old coffin dodger not a young fair lady with a whole life in front of me."  The two burst out laughing and still were when I left. One of them said to me, "You have brightened my day you old coffin dodger."
You see the only gift need is a little portion of yourself to lift the heart of another.
Have a marvellous day, whom will you surprise with the gift of a piece of yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment