Saturday 24 February 2018

A new adventure.


If at first, you are not happy there is nothing wrong with trying again. I tried to paint this dog once before and I never really felt happy with the finished result so here I have had a second attempt. it was the eyes that I had the most difficulty with and even on this I had three tries and am still not sure.

But this picks up from what I was saying just the other day if you do not try something how will you ever know that you cannot do something.  I is often the easy way out to say I cannot. 

I was talking yesterday about past attempts at things for the first time. I was doing so because I have just taken the bull by the horns and at last made a purchase of some tiles and materials to make an attempt at doing a mosaic.

I have been thinking about this since the summer of last year if not longer. The materials and my first tile snipping tool have arrived. I felt excited as I opened the parcel. Then I saw all those coloured little tiles all waiting to be shaped trimmed and made into a design. The excitement took a little nose dive and my fears began to become obvious. Having invested in this I now feel that I have to make the effort. 

The chat I had was with my wife and friend as we were out walking. I was remembering the first time I had attempted to make a rug. I had a large bit of a canvas weave and a hook-like tool for pulling through and knotting lengths of wool. it took me ages to complete but the finished carpet graced the front of our fireplace for many years and in many different homes. 

I also at one time had a try at making pictures on canvas board with little shards of glass and glue.I made a fairly successful attempt at a picture of an owl on one and a peacock on another. Both worked out not too bad after some teething troubles about the best way to tackle the task.

The finished owl hung for years on my mothers' wall while the peacock hung in the living room of my mother and father in laws' for even more years. I remember feeling exactly the same way as I do today as I look at these tiles and snippers.

How long will I look before being brave enough to venture forth?  What will I try to create? Possibly something with two birds in it.

When you consider the task before me there is some similarity to those other ventures I tried. Even more, it is very much like the story of our life. Nature has given us a starting point. Who knows when the endpoint will be but there most certainly is one. In gaps between the two lies the weave o life.

In our hands lies the ability to weave a beautiful pattern that brings joy to others. There will be mistakes along the way and the pattern might for a bit look uncertain and not so pretty but it is up to us what the end product will look like.

I am sure if we had stopped and considered way back at the beginning the adventure we were setting out on we would have had a sense of fear and trepidation. But we were young and had less knowledge and maybe even less sense of the journey. But being young and full of the wisdom of youth we ventured forth.

As I said yesterday when I quoted my favourite sage. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. 

I am as some of you well on the road of the journey of life but I stand on the threshold of my next little challenge. Now, what are you going to add something to the weave of your life?

Have a marvellous day and remember the journey of the day begins the minute your foot hits the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment