Saturday 3 February 2018

I take you!


Cherry Blossom and Butterflies 

I begin to write today somewhat apprehensive after some of the comments posted about my last two posts made yesterday. I have had in my time some harsh comments about my thoughts and beliefs but that was not at all expected. It is a terrible feeling to think that your words have caused such hurt that they provoke such a reaction.

I spoke to a person I conducted the wedding of a long number of years ago. They are celebrating their anniversary and thought it would be nice to contact me to say they were still together. Having conducted so many wedding over the years it is wonderful to hear such good news and even better to be able to put my hand on my heart and say I remember conducting it. 

It was Voltaire who said, "Marriage is a wonderful institution if you did not mind living in an institution."  he obviously did not agree with the couple I spoke to or for that matter myself. 

Marriage is after all about a bit of giving and taking not at all like an institution. It is when one person pledges to sleep in a room that is far too warm with a person who thinks it is far too cold. 

Marriage is like twirling a baton, turning handsprings or eating with chopsticks. It looks easy until you try it. Sadly in our modern society, many are more reluctant to work at something that is not easy and as soon as it gets difficult it is easier to turn away. Now I know that there are intolerable situations for some and for the sake of all.

There was a speaker invited to speak to the woman's guild in my church. She had been invited to speak about relationships and in particular marriage. She was warmly introduced and began to give her talk. She started off by asking the audience a question. She said, "How many of you present want to mother your husbands? One of those present sitting in the back row raised her hand.

"You want to mother your husband?" repeated the speaker.

"Mother?" said the woman, "My goodness no I thought you said smother."

 Men can get it wrong also.

A man at work was sitting enjoying his sandwich lunch made by his wife. he was enjoying it so much he decided to show his wife how much he loved her. 

Before leaving work and going home, he showered, shaved, put on some choice cologne. He popped into the florist and bought her a bouquet of flowers. 

He went to the front door and knocked. His wife answered the door and exclaimed, "Oh no! This has been a terrible day! 

First I had to take Billy to the emergency room and get stitches in his leg, then your mother called and said she's coming for two weeks, then the washing machine broke, and now this! 

You come home drunk!

My mother and father in law reached their golden wedding anniversary.

At the dinner held in their honour, my mother in law revealed the secret of her long and happy marriage. 

She told us, "On my wedding day, I decided to choose ten of my husband's faults which, for the sake of our marriage, I would overlook,"  

A guest asked her to name some of the faults. "To tell the truth," she replied, "I never did get around to listing them. But whenever my husband did something that made me hopping mad, I would say to myself, 'Lucky for him that's one of the ten."

Yes, it is all about give and take. But this is not only the case about marriage it is the same for all relationships. Any relationship that is to survive will only do so on the basis of compromise.

After the comments I got when speaking about forgiveness I say it again, having considered what I did say then. Without forgiveness and forgetting there will be only broken relationships and hurt multiplying. I believe with every fibre of my being that learning to forgive is one of the most important lessons we can learn and share with others.

Have a marvellous day. Thanks for all those who took the time to comment on my last two posts and got in touch with me. I know I have strong views and opinions but to have friends I can share them with who rebuke me and put me right is a wonderful gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment