Thursday 4 August 2016

The Man Who Drank Three Beers.


Today is Thursday, just in case you did not know. Today I meet with friends we gather and share an ale(beer) and have a chat. It is a precious afternoon to me a chance to just forget everything and laugh together. It seldom ever gets beyond the laugh, we do not do serious. We do share memories but even then it is usually the funny ones. 

While in France I put on a little bit of weight and I am determined that I will lose it before returning to France in September.  So I have been behaving no snacking and very strict on the alcohol intake.  Yes, I can hear you what is the point of living if you deprive yourself of all joys. So tomorrow I will still have an ale.

This reminded me of the man who every day visited the bar for a beer. 

Every day he walked into a small Irish pub and ordered three beers. The bartender was surprised, but he served that man three beers. One hour later the man ordered three beers again. 

The very next day he was back and ordered three beers again and drank quietly at a table. 

This was repeated  several times  the people of the village were whispering about the man, who was ordering three beers at once. Nothing happens in a village without everybody knowing about it.
A couple of weeks later, the bartender decided to ask the man about his behaviour and inquired, "I do not want to pry, but could you explain, why do you order three beers all the time?” 
The man replied, "It seems strange, doesn't it? You see, my two brothers live abroad at the moment, one in France and another, in Italy. We have made an agreement, that every time we go to pub each of us will order an extra two beers and it will help in  keeping up the family bond“.
Soon all the village had heard the man‘s answer and liked it a lot. The man became a local celebrity. Residents of the town were telling this story to newcomers or tourists and even invited them to that pub to look at, Three Beer Man.
However, one day the man came to pub and ordered only two beers, not three as usual. 
The bartender served him with a feeling of sadness. 
All that evening the man ordered and drank only two beers. The very next day all the village was talking about this, some people prayed for the soul of one of the brothers, others quietly grieved.
When the man came to pub the next time and ordered two beers again, the bartender said to him, "I would like to offer condolences to you, due to the death of your dear brother”. 
The man considered this for a moment and then replied, "Oh, you are probably surprised that I order only two beers now? Well, my two brothers are alive and well. It‘s just because of my decision. I promised myself to give up drinking“.
Have a good day I know that I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment