Sunday 7 August 2016

A place of Solitude.


Yesterday I spent some time in the gallery of modern art. There was an exhibition of of surrealist art taking place. Artist s like Dali, Picasso and Miro were represented those artists who make you see the world in a different way. They portray everything from the most unexpected angles. 

You either see what they are trying to say to you or you do not. 

From the modern art gallery it is possible to take a path down the back of the building and join the walkway along the water of Leith. The painting above is under the Dean Bridge a very busy route in and out of the centre of Edinburgh. The walkway usually passes through the centre of the little village of Dean. An old village with its little former school in the middle of it. This was one of my havens when I was a university student. I went here to get away from the noise and the bustle to just enjoy the peace and quiet of this hidden spot. 

I once entered a competition about your favourite romantic place. I wrote a poem about the dean village and sent it in. I won the competition and was awarded a cd collection of four cd's of romantic music. I still enjoy it to this day. 

Yesterday as I walked along the walkway I found my path being redirected not through the old village but through the adjoining modern flats. I had a feeling of anger that my path was blocked. I had no alternative but to follow the route and head back up to the centre  of Edinburgh.

Can you imagine how sad I felt when I learned that the reason for my detour was caused by a tragic accident. A tree had fallen landing on the tent of two boys wild camping son the banks of the water of Leith killing one of them.

I was reminded of the story that I wished I had remembered before I allowed the surge of anger.

A woman was waiting for her flight at airport.
She bought a bag of her favourite  buns, found a place to sit and took out her book. She started to read and suddenly noticed that a man, sitting beside her, grabbed a bun from her bag. She thought she would just ignore it.
She sat and read reaching out now and then to have another of the little buns and at the same time watched how shameless bun thief was diminishing her stocks. She thought to herself, "If I wasn‘t such a nice person, I would blacken his eye."
When only one bun was left, she looked with interest and wondered what he would do. He smiled, took the last bun and broke it in half. She thought, "This guy is so rude, he didn‘t even show any gratitude!”
Just at that moment her boarding of her flight was called, the woman gathered her baggage and headed to gate. She took her seat in the plane, and started to look for her book, which was almost complete. As she reached into her bag, she gasped with surprise, as there was an unopened bag of buns. 
A dreadful thought crossed her mind, "If my  bag of buns are here, the other one was his and he just tried to share. She realised that she was the rude one, but it was too late to apologise.
Before we jump to anger it is wise to stop and give thought.
Today my thoughts are with the family of the boy and I remember my little moment of anger with deep regret. 
May you day be filled with memories of romantic places and happy moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment