Monday 22 August 2016

The Learning Curve.


I have to thank those who read my blog and take the time to contact me about what is either said or the painting used. I find the comments of great interest and an encouragement to get up early and write another blog the next day. 

When comments are made about artwork I realise that now and again what my opinion of a painting is and what others see in it is very different. The word fool has come to mind a few times in the past few weeks, usually on days when I have used a painting that I have painted over. 

There are lessons to be learned from this sharing of thoughts and comments and I genuinely thank all those who take the time. 

Those thoughts have, of course, reminded me of tales I have heard and remembered from my past.

As I said the word fool has crossed my mind more than once. 

This reminded me of a little story of a fast thinking minister. In the background lies the anonymous letter. I think every minister friend I know and have know has had their share of anonymous letters. I have never managed to wonder what the writers of these letters hopes to achieve, their credibility drops considerably if the author cannot have the courage to say who they are. Of course some cause hurt, but most were treated with contempt but not as cleverly as this one. 

A minister received a letter in the mail. On opening it he found one sheet of paper with the word, "FOOL," written in large bold font. 

The minister the following Sunday announced to the assembled congregation. "I have received over the years a number of letters expressing opinions about myself and the authors have forgot to sign them. This week I received a different sort of letter. On this occasion the writer signed it but forgot to actually write the letter. 

Sometimes events take a turn and we learn something about ourselves or our work when we least expected it. 

In the Church of Scotland there is in every church a Congregational Board, usually known just as the Board. This group of people are elected to be in charge of the day to day running and maintenance of the fabric of the church.

One Sunday at the end of the worship the minister said that he needed to have an urgent meeting of the Board.

After the service, the group gathered in the church hall, but there was a stranger in their midst. He was a visitor who had never attended the church before.

"My friend," asked the minister, "did you understand that this is a meeting of the Board?"

"Oh, yes," came the reply from the visitor, "and after that sermon, I am as bored as it is possible to get."

I so hope I have not bored you this morning and hope that you have a wonderful day. Or those of you who, as I discovered read this last thing at night have a wonderful restful night.  Either way enjoy.

Remember every day is a school day and from everything if we are open we can learn a little something. 




No comments:

Post a Comment