Monday 29 April 2019

Vocabulary lesson.


Yesterday I played golf with my son. I am sure you know what golf is? It is a game that certainly helps you learn about a great many emotions and even some new words.

The last time I played  I came home feeling that I had played fairly well. That day I had played alone and that makes a great world of a difference. The odd bad shot can very easily be forgotten because nobody else saw it. When playing with my son every little misshit becomes something else. Now when your son turns up with a friend how very different the game becomes. Now it becomes competitive and every stroke is precious and has to be played well.

When you manage to hit a birdie, one stroke less than it is meant to take to play the hole you feel the excitement. When you take one or two more than ought to have been taken you experience frustration. So many emotions in one day.

A father was trying to explain this to his son and the son listened intently. He then asked his father, "What is the difference between irritation, aggravation and frustration?"

The father thinks hard but cannot find the correct explanation. He gets out his phone and puts it on speakerphone so that his sone can hear the conversation.

He dials a number and when it is answered he asks if Alf is there.

The person on the other end says that there is no Alf there and hangs up. The father tells his son, "Now that is an irritation."

He then dials the same number, again and again, asks for Alf. 

This time the person on the other end angrily responds. "There is no Alf here. If you call again asking for him I am going to report you to the police."

That says the father is, aggravation.

The son looks at him and tells his father he sees the difference but asks him, "What about frustration?"

The father again dials the same number. When it is answered he says, "Hello this is Alf. Have you had any calls for me?'

I will not share the response but I think you will understand.

If no! I advise you to take up the game of golf.

Have a great day.






No comments:

Post a Comment