Monday 1 April 2019

Notes


I had a wonderful Mother's Day walk yesterday with my family. There is always something good about spending time with those who mean much to you. One thing is always certain when my family gets together, there will be much talking and debating. This is just a taken. Other people joining my family for the first time often find this difficult. Both my son and law and daughter in law found it difficult. For outsiders, we looked like a family that could agree about nothing. In fact, it was these very discussions that honed our thoughts until we found the points of agreement.

I never found it surprising that while at school they took part in debating societies and such. So yesterday was no different, a walk in the beauty of wild places and some deep and meaningful discussion. 

Such days always trigger for me memories of discussions from my past and the lessons learned. I have always kept notebooks where I jot down some of those memories. One of the few things that have not been taken over by computers or technology. 

So on arriving home yesterday, I pulled out my latest notebook to jot down one or two thoughts. As I leafed through I discovered some thoughts that I had written down on the exact same day a few years ago. 

So I share with you some of the scribbling’s from my notebook of sayings that seemed to make some sense to me.

Enjoy life and the changing seasons, we know not how long we have them. If I had been writing this one today I might have said, a new day is yours enjoy it to the full.

Avoid grand plans: just respond to things as they arise. This I might have changed to simply, Go with the Flow

Push your own self to one side, as far as you are able so you can see other people more clearly. I still like this one as it is and would probably not change it at all.

Instead of seeking fulfilment, seek only to be empty. This will create space for true understanding. Do not allow any self-centred ideas to get in the way of your own progress.

Do not value power, but do value peace. The desire for power often brings in its wake nothing but chaos.

It’s alright to swing between joy and sadness, glory and failure for there is no great difference between them. Accept that there will be days when you feel great but to have those there will be days when things do not go so well.


Breathe slowly and listen for the order in the universe. This is another I would just leave as it is.

Have a great day live it to the full.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment