Saturday 6 April 2019

A true tale.


I had the pleasure of walking under this waterfall yesterday on one of my really popular walkings routes. I had noticed a friend had painted a similar scene and I just could not resist walking up that way and making a little attempt myself.

It is lovely when we find ourselves inspired by others and encouraged by friends. I took a number of my books around to the local tavern last night had we had a little signing event. I sold almost every book I had except for the one or two I had to keep back. How encouraging it is, not because they bought my book simply because they gave me the encouragement to keep going.

There is a true story, I apologise if I have told it before. It reminds us that offering a little helping hand to another seldom if ever costs us and we never know just how much our help might mean to the other.

It happened late at night, at 11:30 pm, an older African-American woman was standing on the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rain storm. Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a taxi or a lift.

Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car. A young white man stopped to help her - generally unheard of in those conflict-filled 1960s. The man took her to safety, helped her get assistance and put her into a taxi cab. She seemed to be in a big hurry!

She wrote down his address, thanked him and drove away. Seven or so days later there was a knock at the young man's door. Standing there when he answered was a delivery man, he had a giant colour television and music player addressed to him. Also attached was a letter addressed to him, it read:

Dear Mr James

Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night. The rain drenched not only my clothes but my spirits. Then you came along, and because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband's bedside just before he passed away. God Bless you for helping me so unselfishly.

Yours Sincerely

Mrs Nat King Cole.

 Thanks to all who over the past months have encouraged me to write, you will never know just how much it has meant to me. Now working hard on a third one.

No comments:

Post a Comment