Friday 26 April 2019

The Kings Seeds.


I have spent some time in the past week and more in one way or another thinking about plants. Maybe it is because last Friday and tomorrow have been the planting up of the summer seedlings. Or maybe it is because I have had all the bushes removed from the back garden. They were becoming almost unmanageable, and the fence behind was falling apart. So after today, I will have a new fence but hardly any plants in my back garden.

So one way or another my thoughts have turned to plants.

As I walked yesterday I was wondering about what I might do short and long term with my back garden? Short term is one thing but at my age what is long term?

I remembered the tale of the King who was growing old and wondered how to select his successor for training. He announced a competition. Every boy was to collect and seed from the palace and the boy who grew the best plant would succeed.

They all collected their seeds and went home. Each boy prepared his pot and planted his seed and began watering. 

Soon there was much talk about leaves and shoots appearing and who was managing to grow the biggest plant.

Haun had taken great care of his seed and how he had planted it. But nothing was growing.

On the day when all the pots were to be brought to the palace, his was still empty.  His mother told him to take his pot as it was and show it to the king.

On the way to the palace, he saw so many beautiful plants and he had nothing. he wondered why he was going at all.

As they all stood before the king he wandered among them until he came to Haun. Here is the winner he declared.

They all looked amazed. The King then said that to be a king you had to be honest and upright. All of the seeds that had been given out had been heated in an oven and so none of them could have grown. All the others had obviously planted other seeds while Haun had been honest about his.

Have a marvellous day. Honesty is not always easy but it is always best.

No comments:

Post a Comment