Tuesday 29 May 2018

It is just weather.


My wife lives by the weather. Well, that is not exactly true she has a kind obsession with the weather forecasts. She will constantly tell me that rain is coming at 4-30 pm or such. if we are going walking then she will make sure we do so around this forecast. When it does not happen as she expects she will say it was supposed to.

My answer is always the same, "Did you ask the weather what it intended to do?" The weather has a mind of its own. Last night we had to return to the van in time to have our meal outside before the weather turned to rain at 5pm. It never happened I was still sitting out three hours later watching my live-stream of the Berlin Philarmonic. 

Back in 1839, James Espy claimed that rain could easily be produced by heating the air. But his plan to saturate parched farmland by building great log fires across vast stretches of the American West never materialised for which Espy's contemporaries were probably grateful!  

Later in the 19th century, a new theory emerged, loud noises would bring rain. 

This theory was put to the test in Texas, where Robert Dyrenforth piled up enough munitions for a small war. He blasted away at the skies, but as one observer wrote, "Dyrenforth attacked from the front and rear, by the right and left flank. But the sky remained clear as the complexion of a Saxon maid."

Neither of them had asked the weather what it thought.

I left Haro in Spain this morning very early with the thought of at least five hours of driving towards one of my favourite cities in the world, Barcelona. The weather forecast said, "A possibility of rain."

The reality was two hours of horrendous torrential thunder and lightning. A terrible journey. To make matters worse it was to be raining where we were going. IN despair I stopped at a service station and purchased a bar of white chocolate comfort food. We arrived and sat out in the sun and enjoyed the relaxing weather.

While I was at university I managed to get a job working in a very popular bar-restaurant at the West end of Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. I lived in a commune about two and a half miles away. Because I was a student the manager thought I was always available at the drop of a hat. One day he called me asking me to come in as soon as possible. The weather was terrible but being a diligent employee I made my way. 

I was a student, I had no car or bicycle so I had to walk. I arrived soaked to the skin. I was told that because of the very bad electrical storm the electricity had gone off and the backup generator was broken.

No meals or beers would be on sale that day. I was excused. Off I headed home to get a second soaking. As I arrived in the doorway of the commune the telephone rang. The generator was repaired could I please return. 

I leave you two guesses what my polite answer was, and what I thought of the weather that day. I had never taken the time to check the forecast.

I try very hard to live my life going with the flow seems sometimes that means just what it sounds like.

All this talk of weather took me back to one of my first loves, abstract art. I just could not resist expressing what I saw during those two hours of weather. It is my inner feelings not exactly what I saw at any one time but I think it expresses what in the time I saw changing clouds and feelings. 

Back in the world of abstracts, I know that nothing in life can be assured, even the weather.

Have a wonderful day I hope, "The sun shines on the righteous."



No comments:

Post a Comment