Wednesday 23 May 2018

I accomplished a little.




This will be my last Iris for a bit I am sure you have seen enough and I have certainly spent more than enough time painting them, but I really have enjoyed them as a subject.

I must thank all of my friends who took the time yesterday to congratulate me on my little sense of accomplishment. What a surprise to be told that my snow and cloud painting had been voted the best in the competition on this subject. My painting Freuchie in Snow did just that. Thank you also to the person who cajoled me into submitting it to this topic.  I liked the painting but did not think for one minute that it would do that. I know that I had already had one of my paintings very highly rated to be one of a pack of playing cards so to actually be voted by fellow artists at the top of this theme has certainly made me feel quite humble.

Way back at the beginning of my painting encouraged by two dear friends I thought I might one day be a mediocre artist, never did I ever dream that one day I might actually paint one or two paintings that might stand the test of time. How did I do it? By sheer hard work, reading about how to, watching others so much better than I ever will be and being diligent.

The most refreshing thing is that I now have something nobody can take away from me.

But the real lesson this has brought me is that nothing comes easily. If I want to discover the inner peace and happiness I seek that too will only come to me by the same sheer diligence. There is a saying we have in Scotland, "There is nae such thing as a free meal." Nobody is ever going to just hand me the answer to life on a plate.

Yesterday I reached a little milestone in my artist journey, I still have many little milestones to reach on my spiritual path. I was told by many that there was nothing at all wrong with a little self-indulgence and contentment. But once I have done that the journey of life starts again.

Those little moments when one stands at a peak gives the encouragement to make that onward journey.

Thanks once again to all for your encouragement. I hope in some small way I can be an encouragement to you.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment