Monday 28 May 2018

Equal, unequal, same or different?




One of the things about living in my motorhome is being very aware of the people around you and how they respond to situations. Most families seem to have set routines and tasks that are carried out, and they seem to be allocated according to sex. Now I do not think for one minute that caravaners or motorhome people naturally sexist it just seems to be the way things are.

But living so close to one another and seeing and hearing people live out their days makes you notice the many differences in behaviour. Being a people watcher I am very aware of this.

Iknow that if I hear a child screaming the chances are very hard that this will be coming from a girl, boys tend not to scream.

A recent study of several hundred preschool children revealed an interesting phenomenon. 

As they taped the children's playground conversation, they realized that all the sounds coming from little girls' mouths were recognizable words. However, only 60 percent of the sounds coming from little boys were recognizable. The other 40 percent were yells and sound effects like "Vrrrooooom!" "Aaaaagh!" "Toot Toot!" 

This difference persists into adulthood.  

Communication experts say that the average woman speaks over 25,000 words a day while the average man speaks only a little over 10,000. What does this mean in marital terms? . . . On average a wife will say she needs to spend 45 minutes to an hour each day in meaningful conversation with her husband. 

What does her husband sitting next to her say is enough time for meaningful conversation? Fifteen to twenty minutes--once or twice a week!

I also noticed that over here in Spain females are much louder when speaking to males and males seem to respond much faster. Now that is just an observation not a comment of preferences or my feelings about the differences just something I have noticed. 

I stopped to rest my feet in a village square yesterday and drink from a spring. Peace perfect peace. Five cars came into the square and parked. The occupants got out and prepared to set off for a walk together. The ladies of the party were by far the more vocal and very loud about the preparations to be made.

I got up and left the square to make my return journey back to my van while they set off in the other direction. As the distance between us increased I could still hear the voices loud and clear and very definitely female.

But just to let you for that these are merely observations I share with you let me remind you of a tale.

A young couple met and almost in an instant felt that they had met the perfect soulmate. They had a perfect male-female relationship and decided to get married. The marriage turned out to be a perfect marriage in a perfect home.

One day they were out having a perfect afternoon in their perfect car when they saw one of the seven dwarfs. They thought that he looked lost so being the perfect people they were offered to help him. He was lost but they would get him home.

Unfortunately, they had an accident and only one survived. Whom?

Of course, it was the female. Because there was no such thing as the seven dwarfs and there is no such thing as the perfect male.

Have a carefree day, I am moving on today to Barcelona. Have not been there since I stopped teaching so a little trip down memory lane.


No comments:

Post a Comment