Saturday 28 April 2018

What is it that attracts you?


I sometimes wonder when I am out there walking why nobody I ever walk with other than my son exclaim about the beauty that surrounds them. 

I was walking yesterday and my wife commented on the new growth showing on the seemingly dead ferns. Just a passing comment but the day before I had already taken a number of photographs because I was aware of the importance of ferns in just such a state. The Maori people of New Zealand give these opening spikes a spiritual meaning. They see in them a beauty and fashion jewellery inspired by the forms and shapes. 

Nature and its constant changing bring an infinite sense of wonder. To those open and ready to experience there is one endless equation of darkness, light and colour. This is further enhanced by sounds like the wind through grasses and the fragrance and brilliance of flower and tree.

The peacock attracts a mate through his plumage as does the Goldfinch with its enhanced breeding colours. The flower puts on a display that artists try time and again to emulate. They attract the bees and achieve the aim of continuing the spread of its plant.

I saw and heard a bee as it hurried on its business and got lost in the thought of being at one with it.  Beauty attracts and the bee is urged towards it is lost by its seduction of aroma and sight. It performs a dance of seduction. The dance brings others they hover around the plant drunk in the thrill of fragrance.

We likewise if we take time to notice can also be moved to smell and touch to fill our senses with their wealth.

The bee moves ever inward in search of the nectar of life. Once it finds it moves onward in further search spreading the pollen of life.

We are daily surrounded by this ongoing life and death and life 

So much of this wonder goes unseen as we walk past accepting what we glance at and take it all for granted. 

Nature whispers to us day by day moment by moment. At the centre of each flower, there are a stillness and calm. If we but stop a while and drink in the pleasure of such beauty we will find deep within ourselves a calm and peace that we can often miss.

Peacock iridescence in feathered fans,
Red blooms of beauty in the noonday sun.
Nature gives a swirl of colour,
And touches the inner being with its peace and calm.

I reflected much as I tried to capture this wonder and peace as I strove to catch the beauty of this one flower on today's blog. 

I hope I have managed to convey some of it to start your day. Have a happy smiling day nature has already started its summer show. 




No comments:

Post a Comment