Friday 20 April 2018

Arthitist


There is nothing worse than living in a state of constant pain I have a number of friends who like myself are beginning to feel the oncoming of, "Youth Deficiency," a terrible affliction. Along with this comes the ageing of limbs and every aches and pain.

I have a friend who is finding walking more difficult by the day from the pain in his back. I can speak personally having had to have a new ankle fitted because of dreaded arthritis and feeling the day long pain in the other as it deteriorates. 

Worse I can see its progress in my fingers and feel the stiffness and see them slowly but surely becoming more and more misshapen. Wondering when or if the day will come when I will no longer be able to manipulate and use a brush or pencil. I ask myself how long will my hand allow me to hold my digital pencil knowing that it takes even more precision than a normal pencil? 

How easy it would be to just accept and sit back and no longer try. I know many who have done just that. Why inflict pain on oneself unnecessarily? 

On the other side of the coin are those who are a living example who inspire me to keep on going.

Imagine that you are a world-class concert pianist at the peak of your career, someone who has spent years studying and practising to develop your art. 

Your fingers respond instantly to your mental commands, flitting along the keyboard with grace and speed. Then one day you feel a stiffness that wasn't there before. You go to a doctor, tests are done, and the diagnosis comes back: Arthritis. 

Your fingers are destined to become wooden and crippled. From the heights of success and acclaim, you will plunge into oblivion. 

It happened to Byron Janis. 

Within a short time, this concert pianist saw arthritis quickly spread to all his fingers, and the joints of nine of them fused. Some people would have never recovered from such a blow, but Janis decided to fight back. 

He kept his ailment a secret from all but his wife and two close friends. He worked long hours to change his technique. He learned how to use what strengths he had instead of concentrating on his weaknesses. 

He also used a regimen of medications, acupuncture, ultrasound, and even hypnosis to deal with the pain. His wife learned how to give him therapeutic massages to loosen his stiff joints. Through hard work and sheer determination, Janis was able to continue his career. He maintained a full concert schedule for 12 years without anyone suspecting. 

Finally, he told the world at a concert he was performing. These days, he is active in fund-raising for the Arthritis Foundation and still plays the piano. 

He credits faith, and hope, and will for his success and says, "I have arthritis, but it doesn't have me."

What a wonderful example and role model. Carpe Diem, grasp the day. I will never again run the London marathon but all going well I will watch those who on Sunday do then go and do whatever I can manage and rejoice.  

As my father used to say, "There are loads of folks along in the graveyard would love to have your troubles."

Have a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment