Thursday 19 April 2018

Remember to look after the roots.



Yesterday a good friend was in a state of panic. Her computer had updated without her knowing and she was convinced she had lost all her data and was having to spend ages looking for other places it might be stored. having talked about it for a bit, her using windows and me using apple I searched my memory banks for a solution. It then dawned on me to do a reboot and resign in. If all else fails go back to the beginning. It worked and all seems well.

I planted an apple tree in my garden. I very gently tended the roots before placing it in the prepared spot. I was aware that no matter what else I did the most important part were those unseen roots. 

In a piece of music, the fundamental tone is the lowest, or root, the tone of any chord. Without this lowest tone, no true character or melody will ever be achieved.

I frequently have long spells when I paint with one medium as opposed to any others. I might use acrylic and never touch a pastel for months. Then something will shout out at me this painting would be better painted in pastel.  On each of those times before starting the painting that is calling me I have, for a bit to return to the basics. 

I will paint something that I love painting and know I can achieve in either medium and before tackling the new subject will get my grounding by returning to the roots. We all know the old saying, "Riding a bike is simple. Once learned it is never forgotten." This may, in fact, be the case but I am sure that first cycle after a spell away is a bit shaky and getting back into rhythm is not just jump on and off you go. Everything we do in life needs to be grounded in the basics. 

Have you ever noticed that life seems to turn in cycles? I have heard people talk about what goes around comes around. Something comes to an end and a new cycle begins. If we are to make the most of those new beginnings and enjoy them to the full we have to ground ourselves in the basics or reground ourselves with the lessons of the past.

Race car driver Bill Vukovich won the famed Indianapolis 500 race in 1953 and 1954, a record of success few other drivers had matched. Asked the secret of his success in Indianapolis, Vukovich replied, "There's no secret. You just press the accelerator to the floor and steer left."

Yes, indeed that is all you do. After you have first learned to drive and all the basics of driving a car as fast as it can go. Finding the skill and the daring so to do.

Every day is a new day and every day is open to new and exciting possibilities. In one way or another, we all want to be daring, creative and original. We all want to have new experiences even the oldest of us.

But to do so we must hold on the basics, the fundamentals we have learned over the years. Get those correct and we can soar as if on the wings of eagles. 

Do not forget the roots and the rest will be strong and full of hope and power. 

Have a marvellous day. If all else fails, reboot and start again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment