Friday 2 March 2018

Be determined.


We have had what can only be called interesting weather, snow like I have not seen the like of in ages. But even the very worst of weather has its blessings. This is one of the many views I just could not resist painting. I also have so many other photographs that I am sure will inspire me to further work in the days that lie before me.

This was a moment of darkness over Fruechie where I live just before the clouds opened and brought even more snow. How could anybody resist? On the righthand side just out of view stands my pillar of rocks. 

I went out yesterday in weather that can only be called madness to walk in. My wife gave up before we had even reached the mile from home mark leaving me to venture on. How glad I was that I found the determination to continue. On reaching the woodland I was met by a group of deer who stood and watched me as I slowly moved towards them. The snow was virgin apart from the little tracks they made. I was sure I was going to have the woodland to myself apart from the wildlife. 

I was wrong, I met a young lady walking her dog. We walked together chatting. Now I ask how often would this happen? She was an artist about today begin a Masters Degree in Fine Art and Philosophy. We had so much in common the miles flew past. 

My return journey took me so much longer than normal. Snow had been falling all the time I was in the woods and the wind was drifting it over the road. I struggled to get home it being up to almost my waist. What normally took about five minutes took over half an hour and a wealth of determination.

Someone once asked Paul Harvey, the journalist and radio commentator, to reveal the secret of his success. "I get up when I fall down," said Harvey.  I did plenty of that yesterday.

Everybody recognizes that Ludwig van Beethoven was a musical genius. 

But few realize the adversity he had to overcome to achieve greatness. In his twenties, Beethoven began to lose his hearing. Because he couldn't feel the music as he once had, on one occasion he said his fingers became "thick." His hearing problems haunted him into the middle years of his life, but he kept it a guarded secret. By the time he reached his fifties, Beethoven was completely deaf. But he refused to give up. He was once overheard shouting at the top of his voice, "I will take life by the throat!" 

Many of his biographers believe the only reason Beethoven remained productive for so long was this determination. How glad I am that he had such determination it was his 3rd symphony Eroica that opened the world of classical music to me, how much joy it has brought me over the years.


Press onwards
Nothing in the world 
Can take the place of determination.
 
Talent will not; 
Nothing is more common in life
Than unsuccessful people 
bursting with talent. 

Genius will not: 
Unrewarded genius 
Sits on the shoulders of a multitude.

Education will not; 
The world is full of 
Educated derelicts.
 
Persistence and determination 
Alone are important
They will take you to the mountaintop.
And let you see beauty
where others see nought.

If you are caught in bad times and days be determined to carry on it brings a marvellous joy to succeed. Have a wonderful day my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment