Friday 19 April 2019

The precious comma.


I wonder what it is about me that no matter what I do in life it raises all sorts of feeling and emotions in my head. When I turn my thoughts to art I find my head is full of paintings. Everywhere I go and everything I see becomes either a picture or an abstract.

I have an idea that if I went to sleep at night I would dream in the abstract.

For a while, my head has been full of words. First, there were the words of the Tao Te Ching then my Tao of Mindfulness. A family member asked what it felt like to be an author. My honest answer is I do not know. 

At present, my thoughts have returned back to my years as a minister.  I did paint in those days but not nearly as much as I do now. I did a great deal of writing in those days. Notes for sermons. Talks to be given in prisons and various other places. At one time I even produced the manuscript of a book which I sent off to publishers. One suggested some changes and they would publish it. 

I never did get around to making the changes and the script has lain on the back shelf of my bookcase for all those years of teaching.

I have recently dragged it out and returned to it and once again my head is full of words and thoughts. I never seem to be able to take time off. I am either actually writing or I am thinking about what I will be writing. I am even, with some help learning about the marvel of the question mark and the comma, something I never concerned myself with when making notes for sermons or talks. If I saw the words,  "Let's eat grandma."  I knew that when I spoke the words I would say, "Let us eat, grandma." What a difference a little comma can make.

So the Comma says let us slow down and the full stop says let us stop for a bit.  We might not need those little things when we are talking to our friends but on paper, they are needed.

In life, we also need to have some commas and some full stops. It is the wise person who takes a little comma to have a breather and to collect one's thoughts and energies. Even more important now and again to put in a full stop and take a rest.

Yes, I know it is time for me to stop being boring and take a full stop. 

Have a great day and remember to have a few commas and the odd full stop. A lesson there for myself I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment