Wednesday 13 March 2019

Questions and Answers.



The above painting is one of a friend I made in my last place of residence. I know she returned home to Africa but I have no idea how she is doing.  We meet many people in our lives who come and go, some who have made an impression and yes there are always some that we are pleased to have left behind. She was one of the former.

Yesterday I overheard a young lad conversing with his mother. In the short span of about five minutes, he asked his mother more questions that I could find answers. I smiled to myself, remembering such days with my own two children.

I was reminded of a meeting I attended with parents and the morning of laughter we had as each, in turn, told stories about their children and some of the wonderful insights they came out with. 

My own son the day he stood up halfway through my sermon and walked to the front of the church where he innocently looked up to me and in his best voice said, “ Dad I am just going to go through to the church hall to play. This sermon is too long and boring if you are not going to chidrenize it I am leaving.” On which he did just that, his mother in hot pursuit. 

Another tale is the one I give you this morning. I Know that it is a true story because I can still see that teacher in my mind's eye as she related it.

The teacher had been conducting a class for young children or religion and beliefs.

She asked them, 'If I sold my house and my car, 
 had a big sale 
and gave all my money 

to the church, 

Would that get me into Heaven?'

'NO!'

Answered the class. 



'If I cleaned the church every day, 
mowed the grass, 

and kept everything neat and tidy, 
would that get me into Heaven?'




Again, the answer was, 'NO!' 



By now she was starting to smile. 
Hey, this was fun!

'Well, then, if I was kind to animals 

and gave sweets 
to all the children, 
and loved my husband, would that get me into Heaven?' 
She asked them again.     


Again, they all answered, 'NO!' 

She was just bursting with pride for them. 
'Well,' she continued, 'then how can I get into Heaven?' 
  
A five-year-old boy shouted out, 
 The first thing you need to get to heaven is you have to be DEAD 



Once again it takes the wisdom of a child to get to the heart of the matter. 

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment