Monday 11 March 2019

Getting in a storm.


The gathering storm.

Today I have to take my motorhome for its annual service and habitation check. A fairly long drive and a return trip to collect it again in about two days or so.  But the good thing about this dealer and service place is that when you call them to make arrangements, you actually get to speak to a person.

We live in a wonderful automated age, is it not amazing?

The personal touch is disappearing, I find that so sad. When I call my doctor, I am answered by a list of possible things I might want. It is always the case though that the one thing I do want, to see a doctor, is not on the list.

The other day there I was trying to contact a company. I was in a good mood as I lifted up the phone, ready to explain my problem to whoever answered the call. By the time I managed to reach a human being, there were fumes coming out my nostrils, I felt like a raging bull. I had to bite my tongue so that my anger was not taken out on the poor girl who was only doing her job. I am sure everybody reading this has been there?

Now it is not all bad news. When I was in education, we all knew who the most important people were in the system.

The janitors and the school secretaries; and not always in that order. I often thought an automated service might be better than have to get past them. They used to say they would rather do anything than face the calls of some parents. So here you are, a little belatedly, I apologise.

For school secretaries a list of possible alternatives you might wish to have.

"Hello! You have reached the automated answering service for Aughenshoogle School. In order to assist you in connecting to the right staff member, please listen to all the options before making a selection:

To lie about why your child is absent - Press 1

To make excuses for why your child did not do his/her homework - Press 2

To complain about what the staff here do - Press 3

 To simply swear at a staff member - Press 4

To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed in your newsletter and several flyers mailed to you - Press 5

If you want us to take care of your child after school hours - Press 6

 If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone - Press 7

To request yet another teacher for your child - Press 8

To complain that the school is not open early enough for work hours - Press 9

To complain about school lunches - Press 0



If you realise this is the real world and your child must be accountable and responsible for his/her own behaviour, class work, homework and that it's not all the teachers' fault for your child's lack of effort: - Hang up and have a nice day!

Time for me to hang up, or switch off.  I hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment