Friday 29 December 2017

Night or Day?



I had an interesting discussion with a friend the other day. He had read in one of my blogs that I had been out walking and watching the sunrise. He asked me what time it was that I had been out and when I told him it was just after 6am he looked at me aghast. The very thought of being up and about at that time of the day was a complete anathema to him.

I asked him what time he got out of bed and he told me anytime between 9am and 10 am. So I had enjoyed three hours of the day before he had decided to get out of bed. Of course, there was a big difference at the other end of the day. When I asked him what time he went to bed he told me anytime after 10-30pm. I, on the other hand, went to bed between 9pm and 10pm unless there was something special I wanted to watch on television or listen to on the radio. 

This he just could not understand at all. So who was correct and who was wrong? Of course nobody. It is all a matter of preference. 

I can remember when I left school and began working I was meant to start work at 6-30 am. I can recall lying in bed having looked at the time and thinking to myself, "If my mother does not call me soon I am going to be late for my work."  Getting myself out of bed was just not on the agenda. 
There is an interesting little tale about three monsters, Pogo the Ogre, Big Giant and The Horrible One. They had been responsible for nothing in life other than frightening children. Some of their means of doing this had got them into difficulties so they had voluntarily put themselves in the monster prison. Frightening children was no way to make a living they had decided.
Every time they were told that they could leave any time they wished they decided just to stay put because there was nothing else they were any good at. This was all they were good at and now they felt miserable and useless. Where could they go and what could they do?
One day a monster named Nightmare was locked up with them. He was a tiny little monster who devoted his life to giving people sleepless nights. He slept himself most of the day.
When he was awake he was good fun. he had so many tales about how he changed peoples dreams into horrible nightmares. The three loved hearing his stories but did not get the pleasure very often because he spent most of the day sleeping. it seemed that he could sleep through anything it would take an earthquake to wake him.
One day, being bored with their lives the three decided to wake him. They combined cries and yells and eventually Nightmare woke up. They expected him to be angry with them but it turned out to be the opposite. He had never before experienced a sunrise or the start of a beautiful day, he seemed very happy.
"I have always wanted to get up early. That way I would enjoy more of the day." He told them that they should hire themselves out as alarm clocks. Nightmare knew loads of people who were like him, sleepyheads. He assured them these friends would thank them for waking them up.
The three were so happy to hear those words. They could, after all, be of some use in life. It seemed they had more to offer life than being frightening. That very day they left the prison, ready to make they're first of many alarm calls.

Soon they became famous for their reliability. They offered a custom-made service for sleepyheads.

To discover that you can be of use, that nobody has nothing at all to offer, if they only seek and find what it is they are good at and what they can offer can be such a joy.

We all have within us some kind of talent the important thing is to make the effort to discover what your talent is and how you can best put it to use.

Early morning, late at night? 
I
t is not at all important as long as you have found your niche and where you best fit in. 
Have a glorious day.








No comments:

Post a Comment