Wednesday 2 August 2017

Too much of a good thing.


This painting was on my iPad waiting for me to get around to completing it. I will, but it will have to wait until my elbow has lost the swelling and infection before I can do anymore on my iPad.

You see it is possible to have too much of a good thing and I have been spending far too much time sitting on my iPad with my pencil and my elbow resting on the desk. I suppose if I rested it a bit more it might clear up more quickly. 

So it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

Going back to my past as a minister I was always aware that one thing people could get more than enough of was preaching.  The length of a sermon over my years as a minister decreased  along with the thought attention span of those listening. 

Television decreased the length of programs into what they called bite sized portions. So peoples attention span decreased at the same time. I am told that a university lecture period is now much shorter than when I attended. 

One minister who was determined to make his point was not going to be deterred by such matters. he was going to get his message over no matter how long he stood in the pulpit.

His Sunday sermon, used "Forgive Your Enemies" as his subject. After a long sermon, he asked how many were willing to forgive their enemies. 

About half held up their hands.

Not satisfied he harangued for another twenty minutes and repeated his question. 

This time he received a response of about 80 percent. 

Still unsatisfied, he lectured for another 15 minutes and repeated his question. With all thoughts now on Sunday dinner, all responded except one elderly lady in the rear.

"Mrs. Jones, are you not willing to forgive your enemies?"

"I don't have any."

"Mrs. Jones, that is very unusual. How old are you?"

"Ninety three."

"Mrs. Jones, please come down in front and tell the congregation how a person
can live to be ninety-three, and not have an enemy in the world."

The little sweetheart of a lady tottered down the aisle, very slowly turned
around and said: "It's easy, I just outlived them all."

Time for me to stop and rest my elbow. Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment