Tuesday 12 April 2016

The House Of Straw.



The above seascape is one of those frustrating paintings I have had over the years. At present it hangs in the Commercial Inn in Dunfermline for sale. Over the short time it has been there I have had a number of people express an interest in it but as yet nobody actually has purchased it. 

Do I leave it  a bit longer or do I change it now ? I always find such things so difficult to decide. 

I mention the painting because painting with real paint and not my iPad is very much on my mind. I spent yesterday working with real paint. I went out sharp and cleared my paint space then I painted over two canvas that I had and started two very distinct if similar in style abstracts, my real love in life. 

One I think is finished and the other I will complete today, all going well. I ran into a couple of problems that i will have to overcome. Discovered I had run out of modelling paste so had to improvise. 

I felt a bit like the three pigs looking for the right materials to complete the building of an abstract. 

This reminded me of the teacher telling this very story to a class of first year school children. Strangely it was never a story I liked listening to and I cannot remember why.

The teacher had hardly got into the story, she was still telling about the pig that built his house of straw. Let me tell you how it went. 

 She read: "So the pig went up to a man with a wheelbarrow full of straw and said: 
"Pardon me sir, but may I have some of that straw to build my house?'"

The teacher paused then asked the class: "And what do you think the man said?"

One little boy raised his hand and said very matter-of-factly. 
"I think the man would have said - 'Well, I'll be damned! A talking pig!'"

The teacher had to leave the room. Like the teacher I am smiling but for a different reason. I was in a pet shop the other day looking at two beautiful budgerigars and that brought a real smile to my face as I thought of the story of the two budgies. Maybe another day. 

Have a good day my friends I know at least one person who usually reads this has a birthday today , have a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment