Thursday 7 February 2019

Words and more words.



I overheard a conversation yesterday that took me back to my boyhood, now that is a long way back. I was out walking when I heard this being said, "Empty barrels make the most noise." I was walking alone but this little snatch of conversation meant that just for a moment I was walking again with my father and I could hear him say those very same words to me. Another thing he would say to me frequently, to bring me back to thinking of what I was saying. "Unless you are going to say something good about a person that would make them happy to hear you say it, keep your thoughts and wisdom to yourself."

I am sure that the European politician who yesterday said, "I wonder what kind of place there is in hell for those who want Brexit but have no plan on how to get it?" His colleague instantly told him he would be all over the papers today and he most surely is. Sadly the papers only quote part of what he said to make him look like he was the one that was in the wrong. I am sure he is now wishing that he had kept his frustration to himself and said nothing.


The disciples of Lao-Tzu were one day sitting together absorbed in discussing the dictum of their master:

“Those who know do not say; Those who do say do not know.” Yes, those words need to be read carefully and thoughtfully.

When Lao-Tzu joined them, they asked for clarification of his words.

He replied, saying, “Which of you knows the fragrance of the lotus?” Without exception, they all knew. Lao-Tzu then said to them, “put it into words.”
The room was full of silence.
There are just some things that cannot be spoken, but more importantly, there are some things that should just never be said.

They are dangerous things words. But the can also be the balm of comfort and healing. Chose them carefully.

Have a great day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment