Tuesday 4 December 2018

It is not all serious.



Most have seen this painting before it is a symptom of how busy I have allowed myself to become. It is not that I have not found time to paint because I have been but I have been painting things I cannot show at this moment in time because they are to become gifts from one friend to another and they must not be seen before due time.

I have been aware that having become so very busy I have also become somewhat serious of late in my writing. That having been said I stand by what I have said. 

But family life, which is very much on our minds at this time of year, is far from always being serious. Sadly this next month or so can become very stressful for many and often ends up in the little differences being blown out of all proportion. I learned this early and have listened to caution and always keep it in mind.

So on a lighter note, today here is a slightly different take on the hustle of family life.

At the annual family gathering for Christmas, a young bride led her husband over to an old woman sitting in the corner deep in thought as her hands were busy knitting. "Gran," said the young newly-wed, "this is my new husband, we were sorry you did not manage to the wedding." 

The old lady looked him up and down for some time and then she asked him, " Do you have a desire for children?" 

Somewhat taken aback the young man blushed and softly said, "Well-uh-yes, I do very much."

"Wells," said the old grandmother looking around the room and the large family around her and said, "try to control it.'

 Maybe even families come in moderation. 

Who can ever forget Winston Churchill's immortal words: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills." 

Sadly for so many, it sounds exactly like our family gathering for Christmas.

An exhaustive piece of modern research has shown that no woman has ever shot her husband while he was doing the dishes.

We say very easily that this is a season for families and this may well be true but give some thought to just what we mean by that. 

Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment