Tuesday 3 July 2018

Breathe.



I have a very good friend on here who has a very difficult time getting a breath. Having had in the past some episodes when I had to rush to the hospital because of an asthma attack I know how frightening it can feel at such times. 

I remember the days when I stood on the start line of a marathon taking some puffs from an inhaler to ensure that I would manage to take the pace of the race. I then ran with the said inhaler in my shorts in case of an emergency. 

Then, the magic, or so it has seemed, of the little pill prescribed by my then excellent doctor.  One tiny little pill is taken the last thing at night with two puffs of an inhaler and I was no longer daily dependent. How I wish they could find something similar for my dear friend.

I mention this because only yesterday walking in the very hot temperatures here in France I was very aware of the fact that throughout my time here I have never taken an inhaler on any of my walks or cycles such is my new found confidence in being able to breathe.

Breathing is something we take far too much for granted. My apple watch frequently beeps and reminds me it is time to breathe. What it is saying that it is good to take some minutes during a day to concentrate on your breath and to do so in a controlled manner. 

I frequently joke with my family to remember and not put in in my coffin with me. Can you imagine halfway through such a service it beeps and tells me it is time to breathe?

In Taoism, breathing plays a very central role. Without breath, there is no life.

You breathe that brings you oxygen. You breathe, it sustains you. You breather and it regulates your heartbeat. You breathe and it feeds your brain. You breathe and it makes your blood red.

But there is more. You breathe and your whole energy field is sustained and set in motion. This very act of breathing stimulates the mind and gives you the power of inner thoughts.  Never take the act of breathing for granted as my friend will tell you.

Just as we breathe so does the whole universe. All living things are sustained by the very act of breathing.

The breathing of the universe creates a mighty field of energy much like that which goes on in our own body as we breathe. Taoists call this energy the Chi of life. Others religions say this is the very living God.

Do you want to know this wonder in your life? Do you want to feel this marvellous energy day by day? 

Then listen, it is time to breathe. 

To all my friends have a marvellous day, I am on the move again. To my dear friend you are in my thoughts have relaxing struggle free day.


No comments:

Post a Comment